How do you pick the best school for your kid? Do you choose a public or private school or homeschool your child?
What are the questions you need to consider before deciding on a school?
Your child’s needs
Start your search for the school by thinking about what you want the school to do for your child.
- What’s your kid’s learning style?
- Is your child artistic or inclined towards musics or sports?
- Does your child like to work in group activities?
- Does your child have any special learning needs?
- Does your child need more challenging activities?
Location of School
- Do you want your child to go to a school within walking distance of your home?
- How far are you willing to let your kid travel?
- Do you want your child to go to a school near your after-school care? Near where you work?
Information on school
- Does the school have a particular approach to teaching and learning (e.g., group projects, individual performance, frequent testing)?
- How large are the classes?
- How do the school’s test scores compare to those of other schools?
- What measures does the school take to ensure safety? What security measures are in place?
- What extracurricular activities does the school offer after school or on weekends?
- How does the school encourage parental involvement?
- What are the ways parents can get involved?
- What is the tuition?
- Is there a payment plan?
Answering these questions will get you a step closer to choosing the right school for your kid.