Communication
Share on

Memory is the diary that we all carry about with us.” – Oscar Wilde.

Memory is the sum of what we remember and gives us the ability to learn and adapt from previous experiences. It is a wonderful thing to have a good memory and to be able to recall and retrieve previously stored information when it is required. But, sometimes we do fail to recall certain information and the reasons for the same can be many.

In a study conducted at various schools in Bangalore, we found that 67% of 10-13-year- olds select words skilfully while doing a given task. The remaining 33% of children were not able to do the same.

What is Semantic Memory?

  • Semantic memory refers to a long-term memory that processes ideas and concepts that are not drawn from personal experience
  • It includes things that are common knowledge, such as; the names of colours, the sounds of letters, and capitals of countries etc. that are acquired over a lifetime

How does this affect your child?

1) Persuasion\Influencing skills: Persuasion is a means to change someone’s mind to see things from your point of view. This can be done by:

  • Retaining the attention of others
  • Explaining the benefits of your argument
  • Developing a line of reasoned argument
  • Putting your points across clearly and concisely
  • Understanding the concerns and needs of the person you are dealing with

2) Debating skills:  A debate is a discussion involving opposing viewpoints. Academic debate teaches:

  • To understand and consider multiple viewpoints
  • Critical thinking
  • Organizational skills
  • Effective communication
  • That an argument is won by words

3) Writing skills: The ability to use correct grammar, punctuation and spelling are collectively called writing skills.

Thus, memory and the choice of words are interlinked with a strong connection. That being said, for a child to be able to successfully persuade others, he/she must be able to use the right words in the right situation and in the right tone/direction. And the understanding of the above mentioned skills, be it the debating skills, writing skills etc. are crucial for the same.

Share on