Well-being
Share on

“Teenage” – No longer kids and not adults just yet- This is a period of confusion and chaos – emotionally, physically and mentally. Some go from zero to sixty in a matter of seconds, while some hide and crawl away and turn reclusive.

As a parent, you may be dealing with your child struggling with his/her emotional highs and lows. One minute they might feel great, the next they may feel sad and tearful. These pendulum-like shifts in moods, though typical, might be hard to deal with and learning how to deal with your emotions is key to ensuring your child’s development into a well-adjusted individual.

According to a study that we conducted across various schools of Bangalore, it was found that 70% of the high school children aged 13-16 years understand how to manage their emotions, whereas the remaining 30% of the teenagers were unable to manage their emotions.

Understanding how to manage one’s emotions is a trait that is vital to overcoming addiction to technology. It is also important that your teenager is able to manage emotions such as anger or frustration by finding a healthy outlet for them.

When your teen can manage his/her emotions, it reflects character:

  • It affects one’s ability to build relationships, be it with parents, friends or family
  • They need to accept their feelings as teens, but, however, he/she often needs to be reminded that emotions are not necessarily reality. Emotions can cloud the big picture, and when teens succumb to their emotions, they may lose perspective on what is real and make reckless choices
  • Managing one’s emotions helps them with anger management, which in turn helps them to develop their social skills

When your teen is unable to manage his/her feelings:

  • They are prone to more mood swings
  • Inability to deal with feelings may make them deflect or repress their emotions, thereby leading to TV/game addictions

What can you do to help your teen?

Here’s a parenting tip- discuss a situation where your teen or someone else has been in an argument, involving shouting, yelling or the use of physical violence. Ask him/her to describe the event and how that episode made them feel. This will help them reflect on how they could have reacted differently, which in turn would help them to handle their anger efficiently.

Download the Mai app to improve your kid’s interpersonal skills and also assess your child’s skill in ‘managing emotions’.

 

 

Share on