Communication
Share on

“If you just communicate, you can get by. But if you communicate skilfully, you can work miracles.” – Jim Rohn.

Good communication comes from learning to make good conversation.

Does your child listen and communicate well?

Have you ever had one of those days where everything seems to go wrong?

Of course, you have. You’re a parent!

There are days where everything falls apart, despite trying your best. You feel like screaming, shouting and crying! In such instances, you try to find inner peace and stay calm, so you don’t lose your mind. But these attempts may turn to be unsuccessful at times. This may be because you might not have communicated clearly with your child.

Even two-year-olds tells us what they want, and what they don’t want. Gone are the days of ‘elders know best’. Nowadays, it’s the children who run the show; even the toddlers. In the fast-paced world that we presently live in, children are forced to grow up faster than they would have 30 years ago. And, this is what makes it more important for them to learn and sharpen the skill of communication.

But how do you get your child to communicate effectively with people around them?

We conducted a study to assess the ability of 10-13 years old children to list the rules of engagement. The results indicated that 78% of children were able to list the rules of engagement while doing tasks, whereas the remaining 22% of children didn’t or couldn’t.

Advantages/Importance of good communication:

  • Listening skills are imperative for developing good conversational and communication skills
  • Effective communication supports a child’s learning
  • Children can clearly articulate their own perspectives of what they are learning, logical reasoning and thinking processes by honing the skill of good communication
  • This is important because children need to learn how to work through their problems
  • It helps the child fit in and feel included amongst their peers

Drawbacks of not being an effective communicator:

  • Poor task performance due to the lack of relevant and meaningful exchange of knowledge/facts
  • Making assumptions
  • Forming misconceptions
  • Being unable to participate in discussions, debates or even conversation
Share on